If you are looking for a sweet treat with out the sugars or syrups this one is for you! These Sweet Potato-Date scones rely on the natural sweetness of the potatoes and dates, giving just enough to make a tasty breakfast or snack.
Sweet Potato Date Scones
Here’s what you will need:
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter
3/4 cup mashed sweet potato
1/2 cup dates- divided
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup buttermilk
In a large food processor bowl, combine: the flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, salt and 1/4 cup of dates. Pulse the processor a few times to mix the ingredients and chop the dates a bit.
Add the butter and pulse a few more times to break up the butter.
Add the sweet potato and remaining dates and pulse to incorporate.
Pour in the buttermilk and vanilla and mix just until everything is wet.
Now it’s time to shape the scones:
Option 1: Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet
Option 2: Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a rectangle and cut into triangles using a pizza cutter.
Bake at 425 F for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold butter
- ¾ cup mashed sweet potato
- ½ cup dates- divided
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- In the bowl of a large food processor combine the flour, spice, baking soda, baking powder, salt and ¼ cup of the dates. Pulse to mix and chop up the dates a bit.
- Add the butter and pulse briefly to break up the butter.
- Add the sweet potato and dates. Pulse to incorporate.
- Add pour in the vanilla and buttermilk and pulse just until everything is wet.
- You can either drop by spoonfuls on to your baking sheet or you can turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a rectangle and cut into triangle with a pizza cutter or use a biscuit cutter to cut out the scones.
- Bake for about 12 min until lightly browned.
* This recipe was originally published on my blog, Morning Glory Bakes. It was created for the Sweet N” Healthy Blogger Contest for which it one first place!
© 2013 – 2016, Sarah R Toney. All rights reserved.